Last night, I went to see a film screening sponsored by the Center for American Progress. As the theatre filled with happy liberals, I became increasingly skeptical about the movie. I had seen one Albert Brooks film before, the Muse, which was horrifically boring and un-funny. So I wasn't expecting much, comedy wise. And given the title, I knew I was in for the standard stereotypes and racism. We are, of course, morose people who do not laugh and are unnaturally obsessed with death and dying.
Anyway, the best parts of the night were just before and just after the film. I met the Lauras there and we had pretty good seats. But they got even better when John Kerry and his posse rolled up and sat next to us. And then, as any insecure political pundit would do, Paul Begala entered the semi-quiet theatre, and sat in the row infront of us, drawing attention to himself by talking very loudly. OMGOMGOMG it's Paul Begala!!! OMG! I wonder if he and Tucker used to hang out and have a beer together after Crossfire every night! OMGOMG. I bet they're best friends. OMG. Worse than a consummate politician, he shook the hands of people in our row as he made his way to his seat. Then Ahmed Younis, National Director of the Muslim Public Affairs Committee walked in quietly with his small bucket of popcorn and sat in the row behind us. It was a veritable who's who. And we were in the eye of the storm. Apparently Grover Norquist was there as well.
John Podesta introduced Al Brooks and Al Brooks introduced the film, which was unexceptional. It started out self-depricating and funny with a cameo by Penny Marshal. Al Brooks comes to see her for a part and she rejects him in the most Penny Marshal of ways. Then Brooks gets a letter from the State Department asking if he could help with a project. He goes to DC to find out what the project is all about and then agrees to be sent to India and Pakistan to find out what makes Muslims laugh. He goes to India for two weeks (and Pakistan for 4 hours) and is a total failure, of course. And in his bumbling, he confuses the silly natives in both countries into thinking that the other country has sent him as a spy. And so a military build up ensues on the border and the State Department pulls the plug on his project.
Brooks did a Q and A after the film and he went on this insane monologue about how this film is a step towards creating understanding between cultures and blah blah blah. I don't see how. Not a single main character is Muslim. I would think that watching comedic films and TV shows would be the place to start, but instead Al Brooks thinks the best way to gauge what Muslims think is funny is to ask random people (few of whom are Muslim) if they think he is funny. The film is really about Albert Brooks. False advertising, I say; it should have been called "Albert Brooks' Idiotic Trip Through India". Just like the Muse, he took a really bad premise (white man goes to brown country and unknowingly nearly causes world war three) and then filled the gaps with really bad jokes and stereotypes. The title really is just to draw in the happy liberals who want to see what moselm comedy is about.
Last night was the first screening in the states. The only other screening was at the Dubai International Film Festival where, according to Mr. Brooks, the audience was much better, more receptive. And if the Moselms there thought it was funny, then it must be funny. I'm still not sure if they were laughing with him or at him.
Monday, January 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment