Saturday, July 30, 2005

genes

I am sitting here at my parent's kitchen table watching my mom dance to a CD of south asian music that I made for a wedding two years ago. I was the only javaan larki in town, so I was tasked with choreographing the dances. It was one of the cutest experiences I ever had - working with 9 girls, aged 7 to 17. I was the person yelling 'OK ladieeees!! five, six, seven, eight! And forward. And back.' etc. I had such a fun time and I think they did too. I never got to see the video of the performance, though. I guess if I was a hardcore for real dance instructor, I would have watched it the night of, pen and paper in hand, ready to document the mistakes and call the troupe together the next day for another rehearsal. But it was just a local wedding, and the stage wasn't a stage, but someone's back porch. And the audience wasn't an audience, but a group of unquestioningly appreciative parents. And, oh yeah, I'm not really a choreographer.

No comments: