Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Secret Heart

I feel guilty that I haven't posted in so long, like I've neglected a loyal friend.

I think I've come to the realization that I am just not a blogger. I wanted to be, ever so badly. But I'm not. Like Usher, I was so caught up. My blog no longer serves a purpose for me.

And I've found recently that those things I want to write about, I do not want to blog about. So I'm going all luddite on your ass and returning to my journal. Moleskine and Waterman.

As my good friend has done, I am going to take down my blog.

Adios, blogosphere.

2 comments:

zfr. said...

weeeeeeeeaak.

zfr. said...

hi ob,

sorry to disappoint! you have my email address, and there's nothing barring you from contacting me to actually dialog about how disappointing i am to you. i'm assuming you ignored that route b/c you're concerned not so much with me as with the image itself. the image is from a series by by Carlee Fernandez.

is the image, on its own, objectifying and animalizing women? does the whole series of photos effect the same? is it the artist's intention to do so? does her intention matter? is the artistic value/content of the image lost to my specific use of the image as a profile image? is it my use, rather than the image itself, that objectifies and animalizes women?

i'm inclined to say that it's not the image, rather my use, that creates the effect of objectifying women. does it matter that my understanding of the image, which informs my use of the image, is based on its artistic/expressive context? i guess not, and you can tell me why not. unless that would entail "stooping" down to my level.

in the meantime, i'm going to stop using the image. thanks for raising the issue with me. i think it could have been done w/o coloring me as disappointing and ignorant.