Thursday, February 23, 2006

Divide and Conquer

Before...



After...




What's really going on here? What really brought this about? Who is really responsible? Do Shi'as and Sunnis hate each other more than they hate the occupying imperial power?

It's shocking that major US news outlets are discussing this tragedy as though it occured in a bubble, abstracted from the context of the occupation.

It's the oldest trick in the imperial book.

As a kid, I always felt like I didn't matter. There were no validating images or voices for me in the public. The life I experienced at home and at the masjid just did not exist in the minds of the average US citizen or even those who hold power. I was completely absent from the mainstream. And I still am to a large extent. The image of The American Muslim does not look much like me.

As a kid, I wanted so badly for people to know about Islam and Muslims. I thought that if people knew Shi'a and Sunni, if they knew what Eid was, if they understood the significance of Hajj or the prophet (pbuh) or the Qur'an, things would be different. Now, Shi'a and Sunni are on everyone's lips. But knowledge is power, I guess. Little did my little head know. Racism, hate, superiority complexes, greed, manifest destiny runs deeper than any kind of understanding.

1 comment:

z said...

and im sick and tired of people saying things like, 'i really *just* *don't* *understaaand* what's going on OVER THERE. it just *makes* *no* *sense* to me. i really should read up on it.'

to me its so obvious. when you spill bleach on clothes, they will get bleached. when you occupy another country (which can only be done violently), violence will occur.

im so sick of the ignorance, the pseudo-knowledge.

sigh.